Being constipated is normal and definitely not something to be ashamed of. It happens to everyone, at least once in their life. Even babies can suffer from constipation so this is absolutely normal.
If you are the type of person who does not like chemically processed medicines, and would prefer something natural but highly effective, then you have definitely come to the right place. I will help you understand why you get constipated and options to choose a smoothie for constipation that you would like.
What Causes Constipation
It is important to understand the cause of your constipation and not just how to cure it. This way, you can prevent it from happening over and over again.
1. Your Lifestyle
The most basic and usual reason for constipation is your diet and habits. If your diet has very low fiber in it, then constipation is to be expected. Not having enough exercise, not drinking enough water and holding off on your urge to take a dump on a habitual basis can all lead to constipation.
This has song has probably gotten old on you, but the lack of healthy style really has a way of catching up on you and manifesting in inconvenient. This is just your body’s way of telling you that you need to treat it better.
2. Medication and supplements
If you have noticed yourself becoming constipated more often than usual, check yourself if you have taken anything new recently. Could have been a change in your vitamins or a new supplement or medication that you have added into your diet.
While you do not necessarily have to get rid of your supplements and vitamins because of this, you will definitely want to add more fiber into your diet to counterbalance. If it is a side-effect of some medication you have been prescribed, then you should mention this to your doctor on your next consult.
Note that some painkillers contain substances that can result to constipation, so if you are taking one, this is a possible cause.
3. Symptom of a more serious disease
While constipation is definitely not serious and not something you would rush to the hospital for, it can be a symptom of a more serious ailment, such as cancer, which you are not yet aware of.
This is not to scare you off, but if you are constipated more often than not, then you really shouldn’t take this lightly. It is safer and smarter to get checked as soon as possible to make sure you do not have anything more serious going on.
Nevertheless, even if you do not have something fatally serious going on, your doctor can give you recommendations to help alleviate and dispel it.
Awesome ingredients for our smoothie recipes!
A cup of beans would contain at least 10g of fiber which definitely makes it one of the best sources you could find. Because beans contain a healthy combination of both soluble and insoluble fibers, it works very well in helping any food you ingest to smoothly pass through your intestines, not to mention being a high source of protein and so many vitamins and nutrients.
This sweet, fleshy fruit is very rich in fiber, especially when you include the skin and not just the fleshy part. Since kiwis belong to the berry family, you can also ingest the seeds without any worry. It is very high in vitamins and nutrients which makes it a very healthy addition to your smoothie. Consuming two medium-sized kiwis daily are believed to encourage bowel among people who are suffering from constipation.
Corns are a good source of fiber and are very low on calories. They will make a great addition to your smoothie to alleviate constipation and help it become more filling at the same time.
4. Strawberries and Raspberries
Berries are very high in fiber as well as being very tasty which makes them a great addition to a scrumptious smoothies. You can also use other berries of your choice. One of the healthiest berries you can go for is mulberry.
Berries, in general, are very nutritious with so many different vitamins as well as being a high fiber yielder.
5. Apples or Pears
Apples and pears are very rich in fiber, especially with the skin left on. They are very good in regulating bowel movement as well as inducing bowel movement when one is constipated. Pears are especially known to help babies through with constipation.
6. Flax Seeds
Not only are flax seeds a great source of fiber, but they are also awesome anti-oxidants that serves really well to detoxify your body. In addition, they are also very good for your heart with its fatty acids such like omega-3. We will be using them as toppings for all of our smoothie recipe to help with constipation.
7. Dried Plums (Prunes)
This fruit is an age old remedy for constipation because it contains sorbitol which is a natural laxative, as well as insoluble fibers that can help induce bowel movement.
Based on popular research, dried plums commonly known as prunes, can be more effective than laxative medicines. Since prune juices are natural, they may also be used to treat constipation in infants.
Let’s start making smoothies!
Smoothie for Constipation Recipes
1. Corn with Flax Seed Smoothie Recipe
Corn tastes great on its own, but does not combine too well with fruits. I used to get corn smoothies near my school when I was a kid and only when I left town did I realize that corn smoothies are not very popular and that few have, in fact, tried them. I may be biased, but I love the unique taste of corn smoothies.
What you will need
- 2 cups of crushed corn or whole corn kernels (you can either get the canned ones or you can cob fresh corns and boil the kernels for about 5 minutes then drain. I find the fresh ones tastier.)
- 1 cup of fresh milk (chilled in the fridge)
- 1 tbsp. of white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. of flax seeds
- Combine corn, sugar and milk in a blender.
- Blend until smooth, pulse to make sure the bottom is also getting mixed well.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with flax seeds on top.
- 4. Serve immediately to enjoy the cool temperature from the milk.
2. Berry Delicious Smoothie Recipe
I love to experiment with my smoothie combinations and I find this combination of berries very scrumptious!
What you will need
- 1 cup of kiwi (wash thoroughly and cut into quarters without removing the skin or seeds)
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries (wash thoroughly, cut into halves and make sure to remove leaves)
- 1 cup of fresh raspberries (washed, cleaned and cut into halves)
- 2 cups of fresh milk
- 2 tbsp. of flax seeds
- 1Combine kiwi, strawberries, raspberries and milk in the blender.
- Blend until smooth, be sure to pulse to make sure everything is blended well.
- Pour into glasses and garnish with flax seeds on top.
3. Mung Beans Apple Berry Smoothie Recipe
Okay, I get it, you are probably quite apprehensive about this recipe since you are not sure how mung beans would taste like in a smoothie and combined with other fruits, but you will also love this smoothie recipe. I prefer mung beans because they are so much healthier. Let’s get started!
What you will need
- Half a cup of raw mung beans
- 1 cup of kiwi (thoroughly washed and cut into quarters without removing the skin or seeds)
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries (thoroughly washed, cut into halves and leaves should have been removed)
- 1 medium-sized apple, quartered and cored
- 2 cups of fresh milk
- 2 tbsp. of white granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. of flax seeds
- 1Prepare your raw mung beans by washing them thoroughly, similar to how you would wash rice prior to cooking.
- Put washed mung beans in a pot with three cups of water and bring to a boil for about five minutes before turning the heat down to low and let simmer for one hour. Add water as needed.(Alternatively, you can bring mung beans to a boil for about 5 minutes then remove from heat and just let it keep overnight before boiling them again for another 10 minutes.)
- Combine cooked mung beans, strawberries, kiwi, milk and sugar in a blender.
- Blend until everything is smooth. Do not forget to pulse to make sure you did not miss bits.
- Pour into a glass, garnish with flax seeds on top.
- This smoothie is best served when chilled.
Try any of these smoothie recipes as a home remedy for constipation and for a healthier lifestyle. As the old adage goes, prevention is definitely a lot better than cure. These recipes are so delicious you would even forget you’re drinking them for health reasons!
Let me know what you think and share with us what your favorite recipe is in the comments section below, we would love to hear from you. Share with your friends if you have found this article useful.